Here at The Aevum Clinic we aim to demystify Botox® treatment and answer the questions you may have about the process. Here are some questions we are asked on a regular basis and the answers we provide:
What is Botox®?
Botox® (Botulinum Toxin A) is an injection of purified ‘botulinum toxin’ that reduces wrinkles and reduces excessive sweating. It is most commonly used to reduce wrinkles on the face (especially the forehead, smile lines, and wrinkles around the eyes) and to reduce excessive sweating of the armpits and hands.
Is Botox® treatment safe?
Yes it is – Botox® has been used as a medical product since 1978. In the early days it was actually used as a treatment for migraine and muscular spasms.
However it is important to stress, here at The Aevum Clinic, Dr Aoibhe O’Driscoll conducts a full pre-injection assessment and facial asessment on all clients who are requesting Botox® for whatever reason. It is a safe procedure however it is not suitable for people who have the following conditions:
- Pregnant or breast feeding
- History of facial weakness or facial surgery
- On medications which can interfere with the efficacy of Botox®
- History of needle phobia
- On medication to reduce clotting, hence increase risk of bleeding.
How long does Botox® last?
Botox results can last 3-4 months. First time Botox® users might experience it wearing off in less than 3 months. The length can vary between people, depending on age and skin condition as well as on how the product is applied and what dosage is used.
Is the injection painful?
There is very little pain involved as the needles used for the injections are very small, so pain, if any, is usually minimal. The area can be numbed with a topical anesthetic cream or cold pack 10-20 minutes before the injections are given, so you may not feel much pain, if any.
What is the difference between muscle relaxants and dermal fillers?
One relaxes the muscles (Botox®) and in the case of dermal fillers, these are gels placed under the skin. A dermal filler is used to volumise and fill lines, wrinkles and folds and also to augment certain areas of the face such as the chin, lips and cheeks.
What are the key Botox® questions to ask your practitioner before considering the treatment?
- What qualifications do you have?
- Which brands of products do you use and why?
- Has the product been extensively tested and researched?
- How satisfied are your patients with the results? Do you have any examples of before and after pictures you could show me?
- What are the potential side effects?
- What after-care will I be given?
Contact us with Botox® questions or to make an appointment.